For the second colour of the blue berry print I lightly inked up the plate to get a patchy dusty look of a sloe. It worked quite well/
I am just not sure how the red berry will work or how dull the colours may become with overprinting. I am just using waterbased cheap “inks” which are really an acrylic I think but with an added retarding agent. They are a bit dull which is fine for the blue but not so good for the red. So I have varied the second colour from a yellow to an orange.
OK so far and the registration plate seems to be working.I am dithering about an intermediate colour before the final one…. Unsure unsure..
I decided on an intermediate colour for the red berries in the hopes of getting some depth of colour. To keep the background from printing I cut a mask. Fiddly but worth it and probably quicker than cutting all the back ground away.
I am learning so much with these simple exercises . I think with printmaking as with most other skills you have to keep on doing it to get a feel for the inks, the paper, the press etc. There are many many variables.