Sunday, December 22, 2013

White Hart: A Start

A couple of years ago when I first started exploring the local tracks  I saw a muntjac deer. I hadn’t seen many of these curious little deer before and it appeared out of the bushes up on the track by the railway line. It was very pale against the dark foliage like a little ghost. It delicately stepped away into the undergrowth again. I thought it was quite lovely. I made a very small note in my sketchbook at the time..along with a couple of terns.

image 
Muntjac deer… and terns July 2011

I remembered this pale image yesterday when I was wondering about another small lino to use up the scraps. And I then thought about the White Hart, the emblem of Richard II and an auspicious beast for the turn of the year. A sighting will bring good fortune. It seemed a good subject.

My lino cut cannot compete with the exquisite White Hart of the Wilton Diptych, Richard’s most beautiful portable alter piece, but I decided to use it as my starting point. I wanted to keep the familiar heraldic pose.

image 
First thumbnail

image 
Pencil Rough. I altered the front leg to make a better silhouette

image

I altered the angle of the head to be more engaging.

image

First cut of the lino and first test proof. It is going to be a reduction print so I have to be methodical and think about what  I am doing.

image

More tomorrow and for the next few days, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment