Monday, December 16, 2013

Lizard and Bird

I have some small offcut pieces of lino and while I am trying to work out the dragon print ideas I thought I would try out some different printing methods. With a Year of Beautiful Beasts coming too I thought a few small animal prints might be good. So I am going to use the offcuts to make a series of odds and ends.

I realised I have not really made the white of the paper work for me yet so sketched a design where the white would be a distinct shape.  It’s really playing with positive and negative and light, mid and dark tones. I tried different coloured mid tones. It is very interesting how it changes the emphasis.

image
Initial Sketch with Print Stages

image
The lino plate with a single black print of the lizard

image
I am rather fond of this lone bird which of course was obliterated in the second cutting of the block. I can always do another.

image 
Lizard and Bird: pursued by Small Ancestral Pterodactyl
a reduction lino print : size 2.75x 5.50 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment