Wednesday, October 30, 2013

First Typecutting Attempt

I want to make a couple more prints roughly based around the style of Rook. I had printed Rook at St Brides in London and the lettering was printed from nice old wooden type. As I don’t have any and  its now terribly expensive to buy, I will have to try to cut it myself.

I sketched it out based on the Rook type which was a nice old slab serif ..the R was expanded and had a nice curl at the bottom. I thought the word “Pig” should be not be too difficult but it is the first time I have tried anything so  disciplined, my cutting is a bit free form so far. I found the curves very difficult. The edges of the lino crumbled here and there and there were quite a few inevitable slips but it was good discipline and I can only improve with more practice and knowledge of my materials.

I only had time to take a couple of proofs on computer paper which show all the problem areas only too well. I am going to try a single letter on the rubbery Easicut stuff to see if that is easier….It should really be an S just to try to improve my cutting of curves. But I think I will try the G again.

Sketching out the type based on Rook

 

The lino cut

First proofs

No comments:

Post a Comment