Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Cherry Thief : First Proofs

When we moved here we bought a little cherry tree. Year one, it had 5 cherries. A crow hopped down from the roof one day and ate them all. I watched it carefully assess each cherry and leap up with an aim that was true and unnerving.  The crows great flapping black body almost engulfed the tree.  
Year two, there were maybe thirty cherries. I managed to pick 10 for us. The rest were stripped by our lovely thieving blackbirds. I had jotted down a tiny note for a print in my sketchbook.

image 
The note I made while sitting on the sofa and watching the cherries disappear.The blackbirds worked in pairs.

I had started this lino in the summer and was not too happy with it. It was too busy for one dark colour so I decided to jigsaw it. It needs some more work and some more thoughts about the colours and backgrounds but has possibilities.

image 
The jigsaw plate inked up and some trials.

image

image

I wonder how many cherries we will have this coming year. Our blackbirds are very happy, healthy and legion!

No comments:

Post a Comment